Thursday, October 6, 2011

Done with week one!

Before I begin, some pictures to prove I'm actually here...  These are pictures from my day trip last Saturday to Segovia, about an hour from Madrid. 






Ok! Let's get started here!

I have officially finished my first week of work! When my mom asked me earlier this week how school was going, my answer was 'fascinating'.... which as the week continued on, I still believe is an accurate statement.  In this post I will explain what I mean. I don't mean it at all in an negative way, but just that it really opened my eyes to a lot of different things.  Even in these first couple of days, I know I will learn a great deal. 

I am working at an instituto, (secondary school of 12-18 years old) in a town about 40 minute by bus outside of Madrid.  The English department is 5 teachers and they could not be more welcoming.  They really are very excited to have me, which has been very nice.  I am the first native speaker to be at this school, after those in the last few years have fallen through last minute. Although I am not sure they know exactly what to do with me yet, this will come in time when I get my schedule (hopefully early next week) and things have settled down here...

By settle down, I refer to the bit of chaos surrounding my instituto and the public secondary school system in general. I don't completely understand what is going on, but the gist of it is that the government adjusted the public school requirements. Teachers are required to work extra hours, are not getting an increase in pay. Because of budget cuts, at least 5 teachers from my school alone were fired in the past year. I thought it might be a bit awkward showing up at a school to work when 5 teachers had been fired, but I am grateful the teachers have been so welcoming. Because of these issues, many teacher are on strike. Tuesday and Wednesday were official teacher strikes, and because of this, the students didn't come either. I shadowed four classes on Tuesday, two of which had 2 students each, one which had about 6, and the last one had none, so we didn't go.  Wednesday, I was told not to come to school since there would once again be no students or teachers. Apparently something like 70% of public school teachers did not show up for work (the government estimates 40% and some media estimates as much as 80%). Tuesday afternoon on the way to the Prado museum, I found myself surrounded by probably hundreds of adults, children and teachers in green shirts that said something like 'educación pública para todos' (public education for all). It was a time I wish I had my camera. A pretty cool sight to see everyone together.

What I thought was especially interesting as well was today (Thursday) was a student strike. I was pretty amazed at the fact that the students were able to mobilize all at the same time.  I only went to one class today, which had 5 students.  I think the teachers were surprised that so many students carried out the strike. The student strike wasn't just at my school, but at many public schools across the greater Madrid area. I understand that teachers unions can organize these types of movements, but it's different with students.  I guess with social media such as facebook, it's a lot easier to organize these types of things.  I can't imagine 85% of the students from my high school just not showing up one day, but maybe we would if we felt the cause important enough? 

It's hard because everyone is suffering because of these strikes. The next strike day is some time in the next couple of weeks. I guess I'll see what happens next week. But before then, a weekend in Madrid!

1 comment:

  1. Hola Emmy! aca estoy siguiendo tus pasos y tus aventuras....Todo ese caos de los maestros y estudiantes me hace acordar mucho a Argentina...oh well! it happens everywhere!! Que lindas fotos de tu viaje a Segovia! yo no fui, pero se ve lindisimo todo. Me alegra muchisimo que estes contenta con tu trabajo y las maestras, ya se iran acomodando las cosas....Espero tus proximas noticias! Te mando un beso enorme! Caro

    ReplyDelete