Thursday, October 20, 2011

A long week...


After 3 full days of getting up at 6:30 am for work, it is now time for…a weekend. Today is another strike, so I am gearing up for 4-day weekend, I live a tough life I know…




















This past weekend I took my first overnight trip, to Ávila, another town about an hour from Madrid. I went with a friend for their big festival for Santa Teresa. We arrived Friday around 7pm just in time for their big flower offering procession. There were marching bands, military personnel, older women, children, and more, all with bouquets of flowers. They all left from the cathedral and walked to the main plaza to leave their flowers with a statue of Santa Teresa (above).  

After the procession, we left in search of some food. It was probably 9:00, about the acceptable time to start eating. We went in search of a menu (think restaurant week all of the time). It’s very popular in Spain, and for a set amount you get a drink, bread, first and second course, and dessert. Afterwards, we decided to try out the nightlife in Avila, and set out in search of a bar.  We were there on a Friday night, so the odds were good. We found one that was pretty busy. We sat for a while and ended up talking to some people for a while. I’m pretty sure we were the only Americans there, which was pretty cool. We moved to another bar a couple of hours later, and saw everyone from the first bar. It seems we found the two places everyone goes...




Avila is famous for the wall that surrounds its city, so Saturday morning we walked on the wall to get a view of the city. It was very beautiful, and interesting to hear about the history of the city.  We ran into a parade by accident when we finished with the wall and after a quick lunch, we were on our way back to Madrid!




Up next: The school I work at is involved with an exchange program with schools in Romania, Poland, Germany and two other countries I can’t remember. A week before I arrived, two teachers and six students went to Romania for a week, and this coming week, the Romanians are coming here. Because I speak English, I get to go with the Spanish students and professor as they show the Romanians around Madrid and Toledo, another city outside of Madrid. It will be very cool and interesting to see this cultural exchange, and the fact that I get to go for free isn’t too bad either.

Friday- Amsterdam! My first big trip! Will keep you posted!

I woke up this morning and all of the electricity was out.  In attempts to get some things done, I am currently at the one place I knew would have ‘free’ wifi—Starbucks. I guess by free I meant buying a 2.30euro cup of tea…the cheapest on the menu. I don't like coffee or Starbucks enough to be back here...any suggestions of good cafes in Madrid are welcome!!

1 comment:

  1. K linda la cuidad de Avila!! que divertido tu finde! :)
    K la pases genial en Toledo! (yo estuve alli ... :) Saludos!

    ReplyDelete